Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Distinguished Guest

As the old-timers here know, I was the original moderator at Eratosphere and for almost two years commented on every poem and tried to establish a culture where people treated each other civilly, commented on poems rather than personalities, criticized and tried to improve poems with a level of detail and precision rarely seen in other places, and publication successes were shared and celebrated in a spirit of comraderie. Finding opportunities to laugh with each other was important too.
No group is perfect, but the original Eratosphere was close to it for me, and I got a lot out of being a part of it. However, we have, in my view, become a victim of our own success and growth, and there is now a nastiness on the boards and behind the scenes in the Administrator's board that I have found increasingly intolerable. The fat salary and generous benefit package are just not worth the abuse, so I'm stepping down as a moderator. I'm going to take a break from posting generally, too, but perhaps I'll come back when I'm less upset or it seems that things have improved.
So, write good poems and thoughtful critiques. More importantly, think real hard before you vent at each other or put each other down.
Thanks again to all the people that made much of my six years here such a good experience!
Unread 02-23-2006, 09:36 PM

Thanks, Mike. I fondly remember how you impolored me to keep beating on it until it was right. I'll miss you.

------------------
Ralph
Unread 02-24-2006, 03:06 AM

This is very sad Michael, on the surface I'm not aware of any terminal acrimony on the board, but then I'm not privvy to what goes on behind the scenes.

Having said that, I have always found you respectful and obliging, and I too have fond memories of your stewardship for which I am grateful and offer my thanks.

Jim
Unread 02-24-2006, 03:43 AM

Take care. I'll never remember all the help you gave to me.

---------
Bugsy

Unread 02-24-2006, 04:42 AM

All the best, Michael. I've noticed a certain degree of acrimony too at times, and I realise that a moderator will see a lot more of it all than other members will. I hope you enjoy your break and re-surface online at some point in the not-too-distant future.
Unread 02-24-2006, 07:02 AM

Sorry to hear it, Michael. I had not noticed an up-tick in acrimony and hope that I have not contributed to it.

I hope that you will continue to grace us, from time to time, with your poems and your comments.

epigone
Unread 02-24-2006, 08:16 AM

Michael,

I think all the madness in the news and the battles on-screen (tv news) are affecting almost everyone.

I hope you will devote more time to your own work and be on the scene here from time to time. Thank you for the years of energy you put in here, and best of luck to you!

Terese
Unread 02-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Distinguished Guest Host

Sorry to hear that, Michael.
I well remember the early days of Erato.
Keep in touch.
Best wishes,
David
Unread 02-24-2006, 10:37 AM

What epigone said. I'm glad I can't see what gets said in the Administrators forum.

Having grown up in a large family where petty squabbles were commonplace but ephemeral, I've always had this naive belief that we all love each other despite our bickering. I know, barf. But it's not entirely untrue, is it?

Thanks for all you've done. Hope you'll stick around in some capacity.
Unread 02-24-2006, 12:42 PM

I sometimes think that most of us in the Administrators forum are suffering the same fate as Mrs. Reynold's Cat (viz. the first of the animal poems in Musing on Mastery): grand climacteric.