Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 06-18-2003, 11:50 AM

The Dictionary of Literary Biography has just published a volume (of critical biographies) on New Formalism. The volume number of the book is 282. The DLB is a series of reference books purchased mainly by libraries. You won't find copies at B & N. For anyone interested in New Formalism, however, the book is essential reading, especially by Spherians, who are well represented. There are articles on a number of Spherians, including Dick Davis ( a former Lariat), Rhina Espaillat (another PL), Annie Finch, Sam Gwynn, David Mason, and Tim Steele. Len Krisak, David Mason, Catherine Tufariello, and I have authored essays on New Formalist poets. In an essay by April Lindner on "Younger Women Poets of the New Formalism," there are also some extended discussions of poets such as A. E. Stallings, Catherine Tufariello, Annie Finch, and others.There are, inevitably, a few omissions from the volume, some of whom are mentioned in the intro, but two particularly unfortunate absences are the omission of Spherians Tim Murphy and Alan Sullivan. Hopefully, time will amend the situation. Nevertheless, the book is well worth looking into.
Unread 06-19-2003, 08:39 AM

Paul:
This is an important news item indeed. I hope someone makes it public at the upcoming the conference on teaching poetry, in California, later this month.
Thanks for letting us know about it.
Richard
Unread 06-20-2003, 04:24 AM
Lariat Emeritus

I concur with Richard that this is a big deal, because it will be in libraries everywhere. I applaud all the Spherians who are subjects of and authors of these biographies.