Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-12-2002, 04:12 AM
Lariat Emeritus

I'll be AWOL until Sunday, hunting with OUR Sam Gwynn in South Dakota. Have greatly enjoyed this discussion of translation which I'm sure you'll carry on in my absence. I encourage all members to post their own translations for discussion while we're on this subject. Tim
Unread 11-12-2002, 07:52 AM

I second Tim's invitation to all members who are in the process of translating poems. It's not as much an act of courage as it appears!

If any members are curious as to why I'm starting so many poem translation threads, it was at Tim's behest, and meant to help prepare poems for a possible e-book. I wouldn't be posting quite so many otherwise.

Tim, have a good week with Sam, and good hunting.

Terese

Unread 11-12-2002, 10:03 AM

I posted a translation on the Deep End before I knew that it was appropriate to do so on the Lariat. Have a look, if you like, and be ruthless (though just a small amount of ruth wouldn't hurt).

Thanks, Terese, for being the inspired impetus behind the new translation craze on Erato, and thanks to Tim for running with it. (And Tim, I hope you've brought your cellphone with you on your hunting trip. Rumor has it that Sam's agent in Los Angeles is trying to reach him).
Unread 11-13-2002, 08:22 AM

Roger

Actually, it was Tim who was the "inspired impetus" behind this (unless you count my spontaneously doing the first Ronsard, which doesn't seem so relevant) and I who "ran with it," in a manner of speaking! But I'll say thanks anyway. I tried to encourage him to have a particular area for translations, i.e. on the Lariat, but he didn't need much encouraging. Tim was the first to see the benefit of translation discussions on a public board, not me. I'm still not entirely comfortable with the whole process, though I'm a good actor...

More important is this: it's always gratifying to see people give credit where credit is due, and you're a good man to bring it up, Roger. Thanks again!

Terese