Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-03-2009, 12:05 PM

Default Light Verse 7: In Memoriam

IN MEMORIAM

John Betjeman cannot read his In Memoriam. Not today
Or ever.

So what's the use of writing another jot.
Why, pray,
Endeavor?

For he who could best compose one is decomposing. Rot!
Away
Forever.

His spirit lives in every ingle-nook where England claims the heart
And soul.

That poet so lightly musical, so serious and straight (an art)
And droll.

Whose lines were seen and heard in every church, in every mart.
And knoll.

Muckby-cum-Sparrowby cum Sphinx, County Westmeath, Cheltenham;
The set.

Henley-on-Thames, also Highgate, Bristol, Clifton, Mint-on-Lamb:
Gazette.

Places etched forever in his poems, each one a Betje-gram.
Je bet!

We remember chintzy cheeriohs in his brilliant combinations.
Cheeribye.

Farewell, so long, bunghosky, too -- Goodbye to all his permutations.
Never grim.
Never dry.

Well, it's getting time for supper and we've had our ruminations.
This is him.
Dry your eye.
Unread 09-03-2009, 12:07 PM

This poem is such a splendid idea that it absolutely forced its way in after a single reading. Somebody on one of the threads suggested Eratosphere might run a Parody Bake-off, and I would second that, so long as parody could be stretched to include this poem and poems like it. I mean it isn’t a parody in the sense that it is in any way making fun of the poet or the poet’s poem. I think ‘I.M. Walter Ramsden’ is perhaps the most original, and the perhaps best poem of a strikingly original poet, and perhaps Americans and Australians will not realise how great the prejudice against him among British poets while he was still alive (and perhaps still) before Larkin (always inside track – a Faber poet after all) stuck his substantial oar in.

It is a splendid idea but does the poet carry it off. Well, I think he does and he fills a gap because I haven’t seen a worthy obituary to Betjeman. I actually attempted one myself in an early book but, frankly, it isn’t much good. No, even more frankly, it’s crap. Betjeman is an elusive poet (as he was an elusive man) difficult to pin down. This is the best exercise in doing that I’ve seen.
Unread 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM

I've seen this one before. Loved it then, love it now.
Unread 09-03-2009, 03:16 PM

I enjoyed this one. But I think it would look better as couplets throughout. Perhaps the length of the line caused the problem in the look of it when it was e-mailed. John's comments made me think that the title could be more fun, perhaps something like "Obituary: Oh, Betjeman!" That may be too silly, but the current one seems a bit too solemn.

Susan
Unread 09-03-2009, 03:21 PM

A nice, light straightforward tribute, but it leaves me hungry for that elusive something that makes Betjeman special. I think it was that he was a great broadcaster, the first (the only?) T.V. poet and a celebrity. A national treasure describing national treasures.I wanted this uniqueness noted in the "In Memoriam" somewhere.

"Never grim" I think doesn't quite catch Betjeman's poetry, which seems often haunted by the fear of death. This fear provides the dark background against which all else is valuable, light and bright.
Unread 09-03-2009, 03:45 PM

Susan, the title and form are based off of Betjeman's own "I.M. Walter Ramsden" which features long lines paired with much shorter ones. It does create a humorous effect although what's being said isn't overly funny. I think it also hurts that both poems remind me of the much superior "Akond of Swat," an Edward Lear poem which may just rival "Jabberwocky" in being the finest slice of nonsense ever composed.

I know I shouldn't be comparing Betjeman's poem and this poem to Lear's, but the form is so memorable that I think notes of comparison should be made. Was Betjeman writing in jest? I don't know... I'd probably have to read his poem again. Is this poet joking? I suppose it's tongue-in-cheek, I mean, why else would John have picked it? But Lear's use of the form turns the ruler's tyranny upside down, his violence and odd behaviors surreal and funny - but funny in a warped sort of way.

The idea of using Betjeman's obituary poem as Betjeman's own obituary is the sole driving force behind the poem. I'm not sure if it works because it's not very funny, but not very said either. If you wanted to celebrate his life, why not use something with as much perpetual sunshine and lift as "A Subaltern's Love Song"? Maybe that would be too cheery.

In the end, I like the poem. It just leaves me a little confused.
Unread 09-03-2009, 04:19 PM

I love this homage to the man we're supposed to apologise for loving. It's suffused with the same affection that suffused Betjeman's own poetry. Although it's a parody it's respectful and laughs with Betjeman.
Unread 09-03-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwn Acra View Post
If you wanted to celebrate his life, why not use something with as much perpetual sunshine and lift as "A Subaltern's Love Song"?
That's exactly what I was thinking as I read this.

Frank
Unread 09-03-2009, 05:55 PM

I went and read the Betjeman poem. It helped.
I like this Bakeoff poem. There's a gentle, almost deadpan humor in it, but it's there. And the ending, well, it actually kind of moved me.
Unread 09-03-2009, 08:33 PM

This is my favorite so far. I'm familiar with, but not an expert on, Betjeman, and yet this poem cleverly gives me the high points I need to know. I love the wit, the sonics, the long and short feet. I can't think of anything I'd change or suggest changing. It's affectionate, informative and a pleasure.