Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Raise the Accomplishment Bar? (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=29122)

Jim Moonan 02-01-2018 09:06 AM

Perhaps if the Accomplished Members Board itself was described in more detail that would help... As of now it states:

The Accomplished Members
Announcement by members of their recent publications/awards....

This is a relatively small, connected community of writers. I don't think "raising the bar" for this board would be in the best interests of Eratosphere. It is clear to me what is more/less impressive when I see posts to the Accomplished Members Board. Members can make their own personal judgements (and we do) about how "accomplished" a given announcement is and still be supportive to all. The fact that there are varying degrees of accomplishment only shines a brighter light on those accomplishments that are "higher." To be more exclusive than that would be tipping the balance of this place.
x

Roger Slater 02-01-2018 09:38 AM

I know! Let's have a Deep End Accomplishments forum for the impressive stuff and a Piddly Ass Accomplishments forum for everything else.

Rick Mullin 02-01-2018 11:50 AM

It is written thus, "Roger": ~~Deep End~~

James Brancheau 02-01-2018 12:40 PM

I think Rick was only breezing the idea by. Something to keep in mind, as I think he mentioned. Particularly those everyday venues, sympathetic venues. At a time when I think those who post here are more diverse, and are getting into more diverse-- good, places. Not a judgement so much as it comes off as insular. Not the end of the world and really don't care all that much. But since Rick brought it up, I thought I'd get myself into trouble.

John Riley 02-01-2018 01:33 PM

I've been embarrassed for posting a pub not considered worthy. I don't post any of them now. It's too much trouble to keep up with what the cool kids think is worthy.

James Brancheau 02-01-2018 01:46 PM

I'm a little bit of a snob, John, but that's not hardly the point. I am truly grateful for some of the new voices here.

John Riley 02-01-2018 02:14 PM

I agree, James, but when someone is evaluating if the journal is worthy of posting you will not hear many new voices.

James Brancheau 02-01-2018 02:51 PM

They're the same places, John. I don't ever want to get published where I know someone. Maybe that's not always possible, but that's how I feel. So we might be talking past each other. I'll give my poem to a neighbor and call it published before I indulge in that.

Mark McDonnell 02-01-2018 03:07 PM

Hey John,

Despite being a tentative advocate of the 'elitist' idea, that does sound awful. If anyone deliberately made you feel embarrassed for appearing in an 'unworthy' publication then they're a dick. I can't imagine such a thing. You're one of the truly distinct poetic voices on here as far as I can see. Also, surely none of us are 'cool kids' are we? Aren't they all on Instagram? (don't get me started haha) Or in 'Poetry' magazine writing free-verse (like your good self) and looking young and beautiful? (possibly not like your good self) ;) I have no idea.

But as for the sphere's tolerance for 'new voices', well, don't they appear on the met/non-met boards all the time here and are judged fairly and accordingly? I think so.

Anyway, I'm rapidly coming round to completely contradicting myself ('I am large/I contain multitudes' etc) and saying 'crow about whatever the hell you want'.

Cheers.

Edit: I feel I'm missing something in your exchange with James and my naivety is showing again.

Roger Slater 02-01-2018 04:13 PM

Another factor to bear in mind is that I often learn about new journals because people here whose poetry I like and respect are publishing in them. In those cases, the poet is not being elevated by virtue of the publication, but the publication is being elevated by virtue of the poet. I figure if [fill in the blank] is publishing there, it must be a venue worthy of my notice. And I'm sure that the editors of those journals appreciate the shout-out.