Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   General Announcements (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Howard Nemerov Sonnet Award results (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=29078)

Michael Juster 01-18-2018 03:43 PM

Howard Nemerov Sonnet Award results

The winner of the 24th & final Howard Nemerov Sonnet Award is Carol Frith for "Dying Firethorn." Dana Gioia was the judge.

Finalists were: Dan Campion, Catherine Chandler, Midge Goldberg, Stephen Harvey, Jean L. Kreiling, Susan McLean, Kyle Potvin, Marion Shore, Maura Stanton. Katherine Barrett Swett & Rob Wright.

Congratulations to Carol and all the finalists.

Susan McLean 01-18-2018 04:23 PM

Great showing by current and former Eratosphere members. Congratulations to all!

Susan

Maryann Corbett 01-18-2018 05:38 PM

Yes, congratulations to all these good poets.

(Are we allowed to ask why this will be the final Nemerov contest? We can't help it, you know.)

Edmund Conti 01-18-2018 05:47 PM

Wow! all that talent. And to think I was thinking of entering. Congratulations all.

Melissa Balmain 01-18-2018 08:41 PM

Congratulations, everyone! Can't wait to read these. (Also ... I second Maryann's question.)

Susan McLean 01-18-2018 11:07 PM

I had not heard before that this would be the last Nemerov contest. I too would like to hear why it will be ending.

Susan

Michael Cantor 01-19-2018 10:29 AM

Congrats to all, and a special note of compassion for my Powow buddy Jean Kreiling, who has been a runner-up about six times. I think it is improper and possibly immoral to discontinue the contest until Jean wins.

Gail White 01-19-2018 10:46 AM

Congratulations to Carol and all the finalists!
I hate to think of the contest ending, because - like the latest news from West Chester - it sounds so much like saying "Well, New Formalism had its moment, and now it's back to free verse, everybody". I REALLY do not want that to happen.
Also agree with Michael that it should go on until Jean wins--and some other people. For years I have been encouraging friends to enter, saying "New people win it all the time." I want everyone to have more chances!

Michael Juster 01-19-2018 10:49 AM

Garden Stater that he is, Bill Baer would be infuriated to know that I am using here an adjective derived from the wisdom of another Bill, but all I got from him was the Belichickian "It's time."

Susan McLean 01-19-2018 11:03 AM

Well, that is inarguable, Michael. But it does suggest to me that if someone else wants to run a sonnet contest, there is a huge pool of eager entrants waiting for a chance to send their entry fees. Bill Baer seems to prefer to retire his brand when he stops calling the shots, but there is nothing to stop anyone else from doing something similar (preferably someone who actually knows something about formal verse).

Susan