Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Post your GOOD News 2 (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=31138)

Jayne Osborn 07-25-2019 10:49 AM

Post your GOOD News 2

Hi All,

As you will see if you look back to my original thread, I felt the need to let it finish at post #414... a very special number to me.

Here we go again then...

Let's hear about any of the lovely things going on in your lives -- but not about publishing or literary successes, please... we have The Accomplished Members board for telling everyone about that.

Many thanks.

All the best,
Jayne

John Isbell 07-25-2019 11:53 AM

Tomorrow is our fifth wedding anniversary.

Cheers,
John

Jayne Osborn 07-25-2019 12:38 PM

Thanks for kicking off Good News 2, John.

Have a lovely anniversary celebration with your wife. In the UK, 5 years is the "Wood'' anniversary - there are lots of gorgeous gifts made of wood - and made to last, ...just like a happy marriage!

Jayne

John Isbell 07-25-2019 03:44 PM

Thank you, Jayne! Wood it is!

Cheers,
John

Edmund Conti 07-26-2019 09:56 PM

Wood that it were.

John Isbell 07-26-2019 09:59 PM

Much better English! Thanks, Edmund.

Allen Tice 08-08-2019 06:12 PM

At intervals in the last month my wife and I spent several days in sequence forty or fifty miles north of New York City, visiting a semi-rural house with a largish screened porch that looks out on another such building about two car lengths away up a grassy hill. Under the second building lives a groundhog, or woodchuck, that once in a while when things are very quiet emerges to snuffle around in the grass looking for bugs or other small wild food items. It never strays very far and is very cute. I will call it groundhog A. I think it is female for the following reason. On one of its very rare excursions, another groundhog (B) suddenly appeared, and, after snuffling around ten feet away from groundhog A for a quarter hour, B leisurely waddled over to A, started waving its tail furiously in every possible way, and then the two gently bumped noses and perhaps exchanged food items for a solid half minute. B and A then separated a little, snuffled the grass for a period until B went one way and A went under the house where it dwells. So much for that. Love among the groundhogs it seemed.

Then, more recently, another rodent (but not a groundhog) appeared when A was snuffling. It was a very active squirrel, which approached quite close to A, waved its tail even more actively if possible, repeatedly rolled over on its back, waved its tail some more, darted up and down a big nearby tree, and repeated this performance with variations and crescendos, but was unable to get even one iota of interest from groundhog A. There was no nuzzling or anything like that. Eventually, the squirrel grew tired and climbed that tree, while A snuffled on.

I think, as an amateur, that the squirrel was overcome with admiration for A’s scent and wanted to be a part of a rodent love affair. Groundhog A would seem to have had powerful bit of musk or whatever rodents of various sizes employ, a scent sufficiently effective that the squirrel just couldn’t believe it wasn’t meant for him.

Moral of the story: None. Unless someone can find one and express it in a nice way. Lewd jokes and rude slurs aren’t encouraged. But it all was fun to watch!

John Isbell 08-08-2019 07:51 PM

That is beautifully told, Allen. A story I think Thoreau would have appreciated.

Cheers,
John

Jim Moonan 08-09-2019 08:42 AM

x
Naturally, you make me think, Allen, and it leads me to dream up an allegory suited for our times. Then I smelled the coffee and let the mug slip out of my hands… The good news? Life everywhere, even in the hollows, is loved.
x
x

Mark McDonnell 08-30-2019 01:38 AM

On Sunday, I will have gone exactly a year without an alcoholic drink. I'm posting now on the assumption I won't crack before Sunday...;)