Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   Staff Announcements (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   A tenth anniversary (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=9653)

Maryann Corbett 12-16-2009 06:40 PM

A tenth anniversary

Poking around in the admin console for statistics, I came upon this: The Sphere's very first member registration--Alex Pepple's, of course--took place on December 15, 1999.

We are ten years old. In Internet terms, that probably makes us an institution.

Thanks, Alex, and happy (slightly belated) birthday, Sphere.

Lance Levens 12-16-2009 07:58 PM

Happy Birthday Sphere!

Hear! Hear! In my mind I'm blowing my silly paper tongue thing and eating ice cream and cake!

Lance L.

Allen Tice 12-16-2009 09:11 PM

Anyone In The Mood For A Celebration?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!

Orwn Acra 12-16-2009 09:30 PM

Eratosphere is half as old as I am. Which, when I think about it, is kind of weird.

Cally Conan-Davies 12-16-2009 10:17 PM

We should have a Poet Laureate to write an occasional verse for this birthday!

Maybe on D&A something could be created? It has to be acknowledged - ten incredible years.

Thank you to Alex and every participant I have read and learned from over the years.

Happy Birthday, Eratosphere!

love,

Cally

Janice D. Soderling 12-17-2009 07:50 AM

Eratosphere is definitely the premier workshop for serious folks, one that is free and in which even experienced poets and writers can learn continually. (I do anyway, and I've been publishing for decades.) The Able Muse is a high class publication. I wish I had discovered them both at the very beginning.

Hats off, Alex, for the tremendous contributions you have made for all of us who love to read and write and discuss poetry. Thank you for your investments of time and money, thank you for your generosity and your hospitality. All of us who frequent here, to post or to lurk, are in your debt.

Best wishes to Alex & Co for the coming holiday season, and may you have many happy returns.

Kevin Greene 12-17-2009 08:22 AM

Celebrate, yes! Ten years before the mast!
Gathered poets, at sail in wine dark sea
and ink, asking, "It's good, don't you agree?"
Poor poets, smitten so with the good lash.

Allen Tice 12-17-2009 10:57 AM

Get Dressed

I hope no one missed this link while celebrating.
Catch the young woman with the sax at 1:13.

Tuxedo Junction

Back to work for me.

Catherine Chandler 12-17-2009 07:15 PM

This really is cause to celebrate! My sincere gratitude to Alex for Eratosphere. I would never have been able to improve my art without it.

Happy Birthday, Eratosphere, and many happy returns! ;)

Cathy

Susan McLean 12-17-2009 08:48 PM

Ten years is long enough to make a significant impact on the lives of many writers. I just wish I had discovered Eratosphere earlier. Not only did I improve as a writer here, but I learned an enormous amount from the other participants, and many of their works then stimulated my own ideas for poems. When the Sphere is working well, it is an embodiment of symbiosis. It is unfortunate that periodic personality clashes and disputes have led some to leave (or have led to their expulsion). We all lose when we can't get along. I have seen it happen often enough to think that it is more due to the human condition than to anything that can be readily prevented. But if changes can be made that will improve the situation, it would be good to make them.

Susan