Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Suggestions? (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=28216)

marly youmans 06-19-2017 10:17 AM

Suggestions?

I've been asked by an editor friend for suggestions of formal poets who might be interested in contributing to a Christian-focused magazine. The staff of an existing publication is considering adding poetry. While I can suggest some names of poets who are Christian and so might not be unfriendly to the idea, I am quite sure that my knowledge is limited! Surely there are many good poets out there that I don't know--what I don't know always appearing so marvelously wide in scope.

I am not certain what will come of this venture but would appreciate any suggestions, which I will pass on. My impression is that they would like to take a closer look at some current writers, both as subjects for review and as contributors to some sort of regular poetry feature.

Jennifer Reeser 06-19-2017 10:28 AM

How thoughtful, to be doing this for your acquaintance, Marly.

Whatever other suggestions you get, you might mention the work of the late Wil Mills -- my friend, and a devout Christian. I am in touch with his widow, Kathryn Oliver Mills, if you would like me to connect them.

Good luck to them!

Jennifer

marly youmans 06-19-2017 12:39 PM

Jennifer,

Thanks; that's a good idea. I will make a note about it on the list I'm collecting. It will probably be a while before all this is organized--there will be a fall arts issue, though.

I'll make a list with notes about writers, and then I'll just send it on. Not sure what will come of it, but definitely something....

Thanks again,
Marly

marly youmans 06-19-2017 12:40 PM

PM/email thanks

Also, I should say thanks to those who sent me a PM here or else wrote to my email. (And that is smyoumans [at] yahoo [dot] com if anyone else prefers that mode.)

Edward Zuk 06-19-2017 01:49 PM

You could always browse the names that contribute to other Christian magazines like First Things that publish poetry. Paul Lake, their poetry editor, is a member here and may be able to help you.

marly youmans 06-19-2017 06:01 PM

Edward,

Yes, that's a good suggestion that I will be making to the editors. And I've gotten a lot of emails and PM notes already, so I'll have a fat list of suggestions. And then they can do whatever they like....

I am hopeful that it will lead to a new place for poets to publish and some review space.

Cheers,
Marly

Gail White 06-19-2017 09:00 PM

I think, from the frequency with which church turns up in her poems, that you might try Maryann Corbett.

marly youmans 06-20-2017 09:28 AM

Thanks, Gail! Yes, I put Maryann on the list and mailed out a big batch of names and links last night. They seem pleased!

Jennifer Reeser 06-20-2017 10:35 AM

Marly, thanks so much for "hearkening unto" their request. And please -- do let us know, as the project develops. I would be very, very interested in such a production. Christian poets are rare. Good formal poets are rare. The two combined -- well, they are practically unicorns.

Jennifer

marly youmans 06-20-2017 07:44 PM

Jenn,

I put you on the list, along with some other Eratosphere names--and have already gotten a pleased letter back. So I hope they will keep moving forward. (Earlier I gave them some names of painter friends as subjects and possible reviewers, and they've already moved forward there a bit, so I think they intend to act on these things. They asked, after all!)

I've been surprised by how many people wrote privately.... But I appreciate all the contacts, and I've read a number of poets who I did not know at all previously.

Thanks!
Marly