Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Hello Again (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=28396)

VictoriaGaile 08-08-2017 10:18 PM

Hello Again

Hello Eratosphere!

It's been quite a while, but perhaps some of you remember me -- I was fairly active here around 10-15 years ago, on both the met and non-met sides of the house.

Then I started grad school in theology (part time), and was bemused to discover that apparently, doing theology and doing poetry used the same part of my brain: I couldn't do them both at the same time. (Even if I'd had time, which I really didn't.)

I graduated with an MA in theology in 2014... but by the time I'd been in grad school for a couple of years, I'd come to realize that so much of what I had learned here had been excellent preparation for my studies. Because I'd been critiquing poems and discussing techniques, I already knew how to engage critically with a text, and how to do a close read. I knew how to do structural and detailed analyses of a scripture passage. I knew how forms work! and how the structure of a form can shape and emphasize meaning. I knew how a text could be multivalent, deliberately conveying multiple layers of meaning. I knew that literary devices are used to emphasize important points, not only to adorn. Because of the folks working in the Translation forum, I knew how challenging it is to effectively translate poetry, what kinds of things can be lost in translation, and what kinds of choices have to be made, which informed how I approached translations of poetic texts.

I really learned a lot from you all that turned out to be extraordinarily useful: so Thank You!!!! :)

Lately I've been wanting to get back into poetry, so I thought I'd come back here & see how it went. Of course, 15 years is about a century in internet years, so my email address had long since changed; but with some help from Alex I've finally gotten myself re-settled & logged in, and am looking forward to doing some critting. But I had to say Thank You first!

It's nice to see some familiar names still around, and I'm looking forward to meeting those who are new since I was last here.

cheers,
Victoria

Aaron Poochigian 08-08-2017 11:51 PM

Hello, Victoria. I think I joined after you time, but I am glad to meet you. I look forward to reading your work.

John Whitworth 08-09-2017 11:16 AM

I don't remember you but welcome back. I look forward to your poems, about God and Death I trust, two of my favourite subjects. Pop over to Metrical and have a look at My Blue Heaven. It's got Angels, or at least an Angel in it.

Mark Blaeuer 08-09-2017 12:07 PM

I remember you, Victoria. I believe you posted some useful comments on a Translation thread, about my draft version of J.A. Silva's "Obra Humana".

Welcome back!

Mark