Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   T.S. Kerrigan has died (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=29437)

Maryann Corbett 04-09-2018 06:03 PM

T.S. Kerrigan has died

Friends and family members of Thomas Kerrigan, who was a member here and who usually published as T.S. Kerrigan, have announced on Facebook that he has died. I didn't know him well, but he took poems of mine when he guest-edited The Raintown Review, and he was kind in his comments on my poems and his replies to me on Facebook.

If you weren't familiar with him, here's some of his work, on The Hypertexts.

I thought that some who post, or used to post, here would want to know. May he rest in peace.

Jayne Osborn 04-09-2018 06:36 PM

Oh, I'm very sad to hear that news, Maryann. Tom and I exchanged many a friendly PM, right from when I first joined the Sphere. In addition to poetry, we chatted about motorbikes when he found out that I rode one.
I liked his sense of humour, though once or twice I wasn't quite sure whether Tom was joking or not!

Thank you for letting us know.

Jayne

Ann Drysdale 04-10-2018 05:09 AM

Thank you, Maryann. I didn't know him well but where our online lives touched there was warmth and good conversation. He confronted his illness with fortitude and I admired him greatly.

R. Nemo Hill 04-10-2018 05:41 AM

Yes, I had a casual online relationship with him as well. He was always a gentlemen, but with a mischievous side. I know he has been ill for some time, but this is nevertheless sad news. Rest in peace.

Nemo

Orwn Acra 04-10-2018 08:15 AM

In what was maybe one of the greatest Eratosphere threads ever, he once posted a perplexing two-line poem in Met that immediately prompted several pages of argument over
  • whether or not it constituted a poem and if so whether it was good poem
  • the history of the short poem
  • what obligation the writer has to readers in terms of clarity

with no word from its creator. Several days later he returned having been somewhere with no computer access to find he had accidentally copy and pasted only the first two lines of a much longer poem.

Susan McLean 04-10-2018 08:37 AM

I am sorry to hear of his death. I remember his editorship of The Raintown Review and his participation in Eratosphere.

Susan

Andrew Szilvasy 04-10-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orwn Acra (Post 415202)
In what was maybe one of the greatest Eratosphere threads ever, he once posted a perplexing two-line poem in Met that immediately prompted several pages of argument over
  • whether or not it constituted a poem and if so whether it was good poem
  • the history of the short poem
  • what obligation the writer has to readers in terms of clarity

with no word from its creator. Several days later he returned having been somewhere with no computer access to find he had accidentally copy and pasted only the first two lines of a much longer poem.

This is why I almost wish we had a hall of fame for posts. I'd love to have read this.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

John Isbell 04-10-2018 10:02 AM

That's a lovely story, Orwn. The two-line poem I remember is I think the only Latin poem I can still quote entire:

Odi et amo. Quare id faciam,
nescio. Sed fieri sentio, et excrucior.

I am sorry to hear of his passing as well.

Cheers,
John

Gail White 04-10-2018 07:32 PM

This is sad news - another good poet gone. How small a part of time we share.

E. Shaun Russell 04-11-2018 05:34 AM

Sad news indeed. He had a bit of a rocky relationship here, as I recall, but Orwn's post captures the memory nicely: he was more scattered than rude, and he was definitely one hell of a poet at times.

Sorry to hear of his passing.