Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Raise the Accomplishment Bar? (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=29122)

Cally Conan-Davies 02-01-2018 04:30 PM

I can't help it, but this thread reminds me of this:

“no one can be really esteemed accomplished who does not greatly surpass what is usually met with. A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to deserve the word; and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions, or the word will be but half deserved.” Caroline Bingley

“All this she must possess,” added Darcy, “and to all this she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading.” Mr. Darcy

“I am no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women. I rather wonder now at your knowing any.” Elizabeth Bennet

Michael F 02-01-2018 05:22 PM

LOL Cally! The Jane Austen killed me!

Jayne Osborn 02-01-2018 07:20 PM

I would never post in AM myself, but I do enjoy seeing others' successes, whether they're 'large' or 'small' accomplishments, particularly when the announcement is made by someone other than the poet him/herself.

Simon said:
For myself, though, I enjoy reading whatever people want to post in AM--much as I'm always glad to see the "good news" thread in GT bumped back up and to see what's there.

I'm glad you mentioned that, Simon. The ''Post your GOOD news" thread is my baby - but I really didn't intend it to be a thread for announcing publication of work, so may I politely request, please, that everyone saves that kind of good news for The Accomplished Members board, which is what it was created for?

Thanks.

Jayne

James Brancheau 02-02-2018 10:59 AM

Hey John- I glazed over you being put down over a publication. That's really shit. Can't imagine why anyone would do that.

E. Shaun Russell 02-03-2018 07:22 AM

Ten years ago, when I was a young and idealistic 28-year-old, I believe my very first post at Eratosphere was at Accomplished Members, mentioning a few of my first publications. Suffice it to say, I wasn't received very well (understandably so!). I don't think anyone else has been daft enough to barge in, pubs-a-blazing since then, but reading this thread makes me think that the question is more one of decorum than the actual size of the pubs (correct me if I'm wrong, Rick). I think the key is to be judicious about what pubs to post about. For some, getting into a low-readership 'zine is truly an accomplishment. For others, nothing short of Rattle is worth mentioning. It's true that this isn't a beginner's site, but the range of quality isn't really quantifiable either. In other words, I don't know if any edicts need to be posted to the door, but occasional reminders of judiciousness can't hurt.

Personally, I haven't published anything for awhile. I did, however, read my girlfriend one of my poems a few weeks ago and she liked it. That's all the accomplishment I need lately. Not sure I'd make a thread about it though. ;)

Jim Moonan 02-03-2018 10:41 AM

Yes, decorum. There is precious little of that displayed these days in the online world (or anywhere it seems). Let's not lose it here.
x

Jayne Osborn 02-03-2018 06:29 PM

Even though I said earlier that I love to read of others' successes, there are lots of successes that go completely unannounced and unrecognised, so maybe The Accomplished Members board ought to be saved for major announcements only, and not just any and every publication of a poem. I do see where Rick's coming from...

Over on the Deep Drills boards we have the Brit poetry competitions, namely the weekly Spectator, and the monthly Oldie, which many of us here enter - (and frequently win, or get an Honorable Mention, which is almost as good) - but no one would ever know, unless they read the ''Results'' threads or subscribe to the actual magazines, yet both of these venues are considered to be prestigious. Prize money isn't huge but the kudos is immense.

It's up to individuals how much they want to boast or brag! The main thing to remember, though, is that AM is a board where we read of good things only, so Let It Be :D

Jayne

Andrew Mandelbaum 02-03-2018 10:58 PM

This is a disappointing thread. I have seen really stunning work in some of the so-called minor journals and stuff that I could not make it all the way through in the more pretigious venues. Who says the eye for great work is better here or there? Kill this thread and pretend it never happened. Bad form.

Susan McLean 02-03-2018 11:45 PM

Jayne, people can already read the winners of all of the British journal contests just by going to the Drills and Amusements thread. I look at those all the time. I don't think there is a need for any of those winners to publicize their winning as well on the Accomplished Members thread. What I would be sorry to have happen is for others who have publications not to mention them on Eratosphere at all, out of misplaced modesty or fear that others will consider their publications not worth mentioning. That would deprive me of learning of their poems. No one is obliged to read postings on the Accomplished Members thread, so I think it is bad form to object when a member posts there.

Susan

Mark McDonnell 02-04-2018 04:58 AM

Quote:

Kill this thread and pretend it never happened. Bad form.
That seems a little extreme, Andrew. Nobody has been hurt or insulted. In the course of the discussion I've gone from having no opinion, to tentatively agreeing with the original post, to changing my mind again. It's been interesting; you know like discussions between adults sometimes are. I'm not sure why you would want to wish the varying opinions of 24 people out of existence.

Also, surely the whole style of the 'sphere is predicated on hierarchy and elitism, with its little yellow star system, its 'Distinguished Guest' and 'Musings on Mastery' etc. When I first joined it made me laugh, but we all accept it don't we? If the rules governing 'Accomplished Members' had been more obviously set in stone from the 'sphere's birth (print journals only/only websites run by published writers...whatever) then we would have accepted that too. We would leave announcement of anything that didn't meet these criteria to our Facebook pages and look at AM and think 'One day...'. It may even have fuelled ambition and led people to really nurture their talent. I'm not suggesting this should be the case, but it seems to me it would have been completely in keeping with the sphere's general style and nobody would have been offended by it.

Edit: to clarify.

I agree with you that the relative prestige of a publication may not necessarily reflect the quality of the work in it.

I think AM should be left as it is.

But allow people to discuss, without making them feel bad about their opinions.