Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   Drills & Amusements (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   LitRev Results + Sept Comp. (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=11725)

Jerome Betts 09-03-2010 12:59 PM

Marion, I second our prolific moderator. Not sure if the Oldieites will like it, but it certainly cheered me up. More! More!.

Martin Elster 09-03-2010 01:09 PM

Jayne - Thanks! That's nice to hear. Pity you 'aint the jur-dge! ;)

Regarding initial caps, I have mixed feelings about them. On the one hand, I think they actually serve as a counterpoint to the enjambment. On the other, your points about flow and ease of reading are valid. I'll ponder it.

Jerome - That's interesting about the pronunciation of Hereford -- which is "unknown nowadays in the county itself." Yes, there are two ways of saying it. But even if you say it with 3 syllables, it wouldn't be out of the meter, just an anapestic substitution, right?

About the capitals again ... Well, I used to capitalize every line until fairly recently. I like the way they look, but I guess it's not considered modern. Yet many poets still use that approach, even free verse people! So, as Jayne said, it's a matter of personal choice and has "been argued about till Kingdom Come."

Martin Elster 09-03-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Herford OUGHT to be OK.We Canterbury men call it Cambry. And Edinburgh, when I was there, was Embra
By the way, John, I really like you poem. Yours, too, Marion. As Jayne said, too bad I ain't the jur-dge. Added in: Lance, I don't think yours is too zany. I like that aspect of it.

Jerome Betts 09-03-2010 01:24 PM

Marion - whoops. Not surprised if the Oldieites didn't make anything of your PC cowperson as they didn't set the competition and the Lit Rev did.

Marion Shore 09-03-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basil ransome-davies (Post 163657)
Yup, I'm on a roll but it won't last. I do always like to check out John's starter, light as a soufflé. I also like to keep up with the comps while I'm away, & since I don't have a laptop it sometimes means being in one of those places where immigrants phone home, kids surf for whatever kids surf for & use the soft drinks & snacks machine & you pay a couple of euros to catch up on email & compose comps. I quite like that.

Aw Bazza--even the great minds need a break! Forget where the kids surf, sit on a beach and watch the ocean surf. Relax, chill out, and come back all the more energized for the next comp. Not that I have any ulterior motive, just have your interest at heart... hehehe;)

Marion Shore 09-03-2010 02:17 PM

Re: Caps

Martin,
Real cowboys don't use caps.
They have Stetsons.

Martin Elster 09-03-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marion Shore (Post 163859)
Martin,
Real cowboys don't use caps.
They have Stetsons.

By gawd, you're right! Perhaps the lines should all be brimless.

Marion Shore 09-07-2010 09:59 AM

John, Jerome, Martin,
Thank ya fer yer kind words, pardners.
Martin, let's just hope the judge ain't a hangin judge!
Happy trails!

Roger Slater 09-07-2010 02:19 PM

I'll dust off an old one of mine that perhaps ought to have remained dusty:

THE COWBOY WHO COULD NOT SPELL

He was looking for new reins and bits
and thought he found a source
when he stumbled on "Dave's Bridal Shop."
Now he's married to his horse.

Athough it sounds unfortunate,
he takes it all in stride.
He says, "The way I look at it,
I'll always have a ride."