Eratosphere

Eratosphere (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Post your GOOD News 2 (https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=31138)

Jayne Osborn 07-25-2019 10:49 AM

Post your GOOD News 2

Hi All,

As you will see if you look back to my original thread, I felt the need to let it finish at post #414... a very special number to me.

Here we go again then...

Let's hear about any of the lovely things going on in your lives -- but not about publishing or literary successes, please... we have The Accomplished Members board for telling everyone about that.

Many thanks.

All the best,
Jayne

John Isbell 07-25-2019 11:53 AM

Tomorrow is our fifth wedding anniversary.

Cheers,
John

Jayne Osborn 07-25-2019 12:38 PM

Thanks for kicking off Good News 2, John.

Have a lovely anniversary celebration with your wife. In the UK, 5 years is the "Wood'' anniversary - there are lots of gorgeous gifts made of wood - and made to last, ...just like a happy marriage!

Jayne

John Isbell 07-25-2019 03:44 PM

Thank you, Jayne! Wood it is!

Cheers,
John

Edmund Conti 07-26-2019 09:56 PM

Wood that it were.

John Isbell 07-26-2019 09:59 PM

Much better English! Thanks, Edmund.

Allen Tice 08-08-2019 06:12 PM

At intervals in the last month my wife and I spent several days in sequence forty or fifty miles north of New York City, visiting a semi-rural house with a largish screened porch that looks out on another such building about two car lengths away up a grassy hill. Under the second building lives a groundhog, or woodchuck, that once in a while when things are very quiet emerges to snuffle around in the grass looking for bugs or other small wild food items. It never strays very far and is very cute. I will call it groundhog A. I think it is female for the following reason. On one of its very rare excursions, another groundhog (B) suddenly appeared, and, after snuffling around ten feet away from groundhog A for a quarter hour, B leisurely waddled over to A, started waving its tail furiously in every possible way, and then the two gently bumped noses and perhaps exchanged food items for a solid half minute. B and A then separated a little, snuffled the grass for a period until B went one way and A went under the house where it dwells. So much for that. Love among the groundhogs it seemed.

Then, more recently, another rodent (but not a groundhog) appeared when A was snuffling. It was a very active squirrel, which approached quite close to A, waved its tail even more actively if possible, repeatedly rolled over on its back, waved its tail some more, darted up and down a big nearby tree, and repeated this performance with variations and crescendos, but was unable to get even one iota of interest from groundhog A. There was no nuzzling or anything like that. Eventually, the squirrel grew tired and climbed that tree, while A snuffled on.

I think, as an amateur, that the squirrel was overcome with admiration for A’s scent and wanted to be a part of a rodent love affair. Groundhog A would seem to have had powerful bit of musk or whatever rodents of various sizes employ, a scent sufficiently effective that the squirrel just couldn’t believe it wasn’t meant for him.

Moral of the story: None. Unless someone can find one and express it in a nice way. Lewd jokes and rude slurs aren’t encouraged. But it all was fun to watch!

John Isbell 08-08-2019 07:51 PM

That is beautifully told, Allen. A story I think Thoreau would have appreciated.

Cheers,
John

Jim Moonan 08-09-2019 08:42 AM

x
Naturally, you make me think, Allen, and it leads me to dream up an allegory suited for our times. Then I smelled the coffee and let the mug slip out of my hands… The good news? Life everywhere, even in the hollows, is loved.
x
x

Mark McDonnell 08-30-2019 01:38 AM

On Sunday, I will have gone exactly a year without an alcoholic drink. I'm posting now on the assumption I won't crack before Sunday...;)

Chris O'Carroll 08-30-2019 05:05 AM

That's a great accomplishment, Mark -- going on 365 great accomplishments if you count your sobriety one day at a time. Congratulations.

John Isbell 08-30-2019 06:13 AM

Congratulations, Mark! That is a tribute to daily and sustained resolve. Something to take pride in.

Cheers,
John

Susan McLean 08-30-2019 09:00 AM

Good for you, Mark. Half of the battle of becoming a writer is staying alive and able to work. Many great writers have failed on that half, no matter how good their writing was.

Susan

Julie Steiner 08-30-2019 11:11 AM

Hooray! That is, indeed, good news, Mark. Keep up the good work (temperance-wise and writing-wise).

Max Goodman 08-30-2019 12:20 PM

Congratulations, Mark. A difficult, valuable accomplishment!

Aaron Novick 08-30-2019 01:32 PM

Very happy for you, Mark : )

Mark McDonnell 08-31-2019 06:04 AM

Ahh, thanks so much for all the nice words, folks. It feels good.

Jim Moonan 08-31-2019 02:07 PM

x
Good news all the way Mark.
(Your faculties are hitting on all cylinders from my POV. Perseverance.)
x
x

John Isbell 09-03-2019 04:51 PM

Hi folks,

So, officially seven years cancer-free, as of today, and counting. :-)

Cheers,
John

Julie Steiner 09-03-2019 05:18 PM

That's fantastic, John!

John Isbell 09-03-2019 07:35 PM

Thank you, Julie. Another year above ground. :-)

Cheers,
John

Mark McDonnell 09-04-2019 01:08 AM

That's truly good news, John.

John Isbell 09-04-2019 02:06 AM

Thanks, Mark. I prefer it to the alternative.

Cheers,
John

Aaron Novick 09-09-2019 05:58 PM

I wrote a new poem today, the first I've written in over three months. Hooray for the end of the dead period.

Aaron Novick 09-10-2019 03:50 PM

In other good news, at the local used bookstore today I finally found a copy of Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow that doesn't have a fucking deckle edge.

David Anthony 09-11-2019 03:23 PM

Comment deleted

Erik Olson 09-11-2019 04:57 PM

This Just In: My house has been cleared of all my roommate’s many truckloads of stuff at long last. Now I can take a load off my feet. I even cleared the air with frankincense.

Roger Slater 10-20-2019 03:31 PM

An anthology of children's poems that I'm in called One Minute Till Bedtime has appeared in German translation, Jetzt Noch Ein Gedicht, Und Dann Aus Das Licht. Every poem in the book has been translated into German by various translators. It seems to me the translators did a pretty fine job, in most cases preserving at least a very good semblance of rhyme and meter.

My poem in the book has actually been translated before, oddly enough. When I first posted it here a long time ago, Nestor sent me a translation of the poem into Polish. But as far as I know, that translation has never been published.

Allen Tice 10-20-2019 04:15 PM

Jayne and all, eight days ago I presented a little papillon of a paper to the Classical Association of the Atlantic States on efforts to solve the problem of when the Roman poet Catullus was born and passed on. He’s the author of Odi et amo - “I hate and I love,” as well as searingly hostile feelthy squibs about Julius Caesar and his team, and some funny stuff, like #13 about a perfume that makes the smeller want to be entirely a nose. I was rewriting and correcting the room handout almost until we boarded the Amtrak train. Be that as it may, the presentation went pretty Aswan High Dam well, and was movied by a daughter. Jayne’s and Julie Steiner’s help and shoving last year were essential to keeping me going. Fwiw, Isbell’s fellow student in England, Gareth Williams, has a jolly little footnote. I’m still sandpapering the message, and dare to think the paper just might eventually advance general knowledge a smidge about who kissed whom in Rome and other stuff in the late 50s BC and maybe a squeak later. Fun it was.

Mark McDonnell 10-26-2019 12:05 PM

I'm going to see the wonderful English folk band The Unthanks on Monday night at the New Vic theatre in Newcastle-under-Lyme, performing the poems of Emily Bronte set to music. I'm going all on my lonesome, too, which is just how I like that sort of thing. Can't wait. Here's a little taste, it's quite beautiful.

https://youtu.be/wjxZ-VbUihI

John Isbell 10-26-2019 12:33 PM

If the Lyme River flows through that town, I do hope not too much of town lies under it.

Cheers,
John

Mary McLean 10-26-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark McDonnell (Post 443473)
I'm going to see the wonderful English folk band The Unthanks on Monday night at the New Vic theatre in Newcastle-under-Lyme, performing the poems of Emily Bronte set to music. I'm going all on my lonesome, too, which is just how I like that sort of thing. Can't wait. Here's a little taste, it's quite beautiful.

https://youtu.be/wjxZ-VbUihI

They're great! I've seen them a few times. I hope they get their clogs out. It sounds like a good show, I'll look out for it.

Mark McDonnell 10-27-2019 05:34 AM

I've seen them on a folk festival stage once, but it was pouring down and I'd had a few Scrumpys. This will be better. I really like them. I didn't realise you were in the UK!

John Isbell 10-27-2019 09:46 AM

It looks like the leader of ISIS has been killed. He blew himself up in a tunnel as US Special Forces closed in. I consider this excellent news.

Cheers,
John

Julie Steiner 10-27-2019 10:18 AM

Many here felt that the death of bin Laden was good news, too:
https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=14078
I have nothing to add to that thread, other than a reminder that bin Laden's removal created a power vacuum that led to the formation of ISIS. So those who feel jubilant might want to keep that in mind.

John Isbell 10-27-2019 10:44 AM

True, Julie, but jubilant isn’t my word, and like Kant, I will treat this moment, this event as absolute in assessing it, before I second-guess its consequences. The man was evil and caused evil, and he has removed himself from the world.

Cheers,
John

Roger Slater 10-28-2019 03:49 PM

Julie, that resembles the argument many people make that we shouldn't impeach and remove Trump because Pence may be worse. To which I say, let's deal with one problem at a time.

Jayne Osborn 10-28-2019 05:20 PM

May I make a polite plea, please?

Can we keep this thread for happy, personal news which will cheer us all up?
(Not publication successes or world news; we have The Accomplished Members and General Talk for that stuff.)

Jayne

John Isbell 10-28-2019 06:09 PM

My bad, Jayne, sorry. I forgot about General Talk. I wasn’t expecting to start a flame war though! There’s not been a lot of good world news and I got excited.
Cheers,
John

Brian Allgar 10-31-2019 08:03 AM

I recently returned from a lovely holiday in the Turks and Caicos Islands, where my sister has a house. It was only ten days, but by the end, you can imagine how sick I was of all that turquoise ocean, white sand, brilliant sunshine, and fresh lobster tails ...