View Single Post
Unread 06-01-2001, 11:16 AM

Ewrgall, I probably shouldn't respond to this post, but in an attempt to reach you I am going to stick my neck out one more time. I'm not going to respond to everything you said, just your comments about sonnet 30.

Your problem is that you read things into poems that aren't there. Then, to support your arguments, you make wild claims about copying errors and such. To the rest of us, it makes you look crazy.

Sonnet 30 is a perfect example:

"When to the Sessons of sweet silent thought
I sommon up remembrance of things past,"

There is nothing in those lines to suggest that he is either in court or in church. "Sessions of sweet silent thought" just means that he is thinking, nothing more -- it doesn't refer to any kind of formal gathering.

"But if the while I thinke on thee (deare friend)
All losses are restord, and sorrowes end."

In these lines, "deare friend" does not refer to Jesus. All he is saying is that the memory of his friends is enough to restore them to life (in his mind) and erase his sorrow. You are making it far more complicated than it needs to be.

People like you are the same ones who come up with wild conspiracy theories. Unlike life, where conspiracies do exist, poets generally want to be understood, and will not hide their meaning unnecessarily.

As for Tim Murphy, whatever good or bad points he may have, one thing for sure is that he is well read!

------------------
Caleb
www.poemtree.com