View Single Post
Unread 10-23-2018, 06:10 PM

A Contrarian View of Catullus’ Dates – Allen Tice. That’s the paper’s title.

I write this on 23 October 2018, five days following my paper. It is very early to discuss the results of the Winston Salem meeting beyond saying that it was successful. Perhaps my paper had too many footnotes and photos of Latin and Greek from two pages of a rare book impossible to get in the USA (quite odd but true) and which were photographed for me very, very kindly by Jayne Osborn in the UK, who went to the David Wilson Library at the University of Leicester to do that. Thank You, Jayne! On the other hand, maybe there were just enough footnotes. As before at other conferences, I met people I had met before, and many I had not. I made new friends, and had warm, friendly conversations. An added treat for my wife and I was exploring the “Old Salem” Moravian Village site, once visited by George Washington, where we bought and carried away “Authentic Moravian Ginger Cookies” from the still active Winkler Bakery. They are good cookies. The questions I am interested in are not yet exhausted, and I will appreciate any further contributions. I wouldn’t object to having a dozen more footnotes, or even half a dozen, or one more.