Thread: Social network
View Single Post
Unread 01-17-2019, 08:39 PM

[CAUTION: The following is yet another demonstration of me missing the point again. Apologies to everyone, especially Sam, for wasting their time. I'll leave it for the entertainment of anyone who enjoys laughing at bad posts as much as laughing at bad poetry.]

Wait, what? It's hard for me to see the connection here, Sam.

The thirty-year-old article you posted discusses a vanity press that was charging naïve poets exorbitant sums of money for copies of not-very-selective anthologies containing their work, and for registration at conferences at which they could collect certificates for bogus poetry awards. For-profit enterprises that exploit beginners' hopes like that are clearly unscrupulous, and warning other poets about them is a public service. (Although dredging up an article dated 1989 might not be the best way to connote that the existence of such scams is a Major Societal Issue today.)

In contrast, Poetizer publishes poems not-very-selectively for free, on the Internet. Thanks to the miracle of modern technology, poets no longer have to pay for the privilege of getting their sophomoric efforts in front of an international audience. In fact, unless Poetizer is doing something nefarious with the data they harvest from participants, I don't see any money being exchanged in this scenario at all. (Then again, maybe their true business model is to wait long enough to collect exorbitant sums from poets desperate to suppress the juvenilia they are so gleefully publishing on Poetizer today.)

People who enjoy laughing at bad poetry and feeling superior to ambitious teenagers should rejoice that they don't have to purchase horrible anthologies from the likes of World of Poetry in order to do that on a grand scale anymore.

But for those hardcore masochists who want not only to suffer through poetry they don't like, but also to pay good money for doing so, X.J. Kennedy et al. have edited Pegasus Descending: A Book of the Best Bad Verse, and there's also The Stuffed Owl: An Anthology of Bad Verse.

Wouldn't spending time with good poetry be more fun, though?

[Edited to add: Despite the amount of time I've clearly spent thinking about this, I don't really care all that much. And I have a pot/kettle problem if, instead of spending time with good poetry myself, I am getting into curmudgeonly arguments with my friends in General Talk. Seriously, though, it's delightful to have Eratosphere back again so I can make a moralizing ass of myself again.]

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 01-21-2019 at 12:50 AM.