View Single Post
Unread 08-28-2021, 05:58 AM

No, I don’t think I have read that before, or just don’t remember it. But that seems unlikely since it is a perfect pitch of a poem. Thanks for that.

I love John Updike’s writings on baseball. There was one about Ted Williams’ last at bat and then there was another one published in the Boston Globe on opening day. I’ll try to get my hands on that one and post it here because as I recall, it expressed perfectly (for me) why baseball is the game that explains so much about life. Updike called Fenway, "a compromise between Man's Euclidean determinations and Nature's beguiling irregularities."

Great to know you are a Red Sox fan! I grew up in New Jersey equidistant from NYC and Philadelphia and was a rabid Phillies fan. My father was a life-long die-hard Yankee fan. I cried coming home on the school bus as I listened on my transistor radio to the Phillies losing their final game of the season, squandering a 10 game lead to lose the pennant. I was devastated.

When I finally ended up in Boston I immediately fell in love with the Red Sox. I fell in love with my wife partly because she was a Red Sox fan and took me to my first Red Sox game at Fenway Park. Fenway is a great place to be on game day, though I hardly ever go these days. Ticket prices are through the roof.