View Single Post
Unread 10-21-2012, 12:06 PM

It is indeed, as Jean says, an admirably thought-provoking start to this event. Though it doesn't elict profound feelings (at least not for me) about itself as itself, it does cause one to reflect on the subject of aesthetics and the fine arts.

Suppose the kickstarter title were The Pine Cone Changes its Mood ? I can see clearly see a pine cone and both frowny and smiley faces.

The title German Romantics Contemplate Water (thanks Christopher) might position it at D&A.

Suppose it were framed and enthroned alone on a blue wall at MoMa? Near a Duchamp Fountain. In one of which, incidentally, the Swedish artist Björn Kjelltoft urinated at the Moderna Museet in Stockholm in 1999. Was that a poetic act?

Critics often fall back on phrases like "her paintings are small poems" or "his poem is a miniature painting". Perhaps it is all part and parcel of the same substance: figurative poetry or poetic figures.

This is, FWIW, one of the first poems in my collection of translated 20th century German Poetry. (I'm sticking my neck way out here, because I can't locate the book, but that is how I remember it.)

Well-chosen.