Thread: The Deep End
View Single Post
Unread 05-18-2019, 05:54 AM

Unhappy

Jayne , lets do that. Let us calm down and find the generosity in each other.
My apologies for my abrasiveness to you and inconvenience to Alex. There was no great degree of thought or malintent in either just some careless inconsideration which I regret.

Re Gordonstoun, I had a sneaky suspicion this was the correct rendition, and should have confirmed, but it’s Scottish is it not? With a brogue “Gorrdenstoon”
Perhaps I can get away with, if not I’ll just have to contrive an alternative.

Julie, breathtaking in its candour indeed! Absolutely beautiful and very moving to read. Thank you.
We become selective in our memories, picking out what we are most comfortable to dwell on. I guess that’s what I was doing.

Behind the facade both Tim and Alan were vulnerable, Alan was by far the more brittle and probably with cause.

Tim was wealthy once, but dissipated all through bad investments and drinking.
Alan was the kept man and kept in style indeed in the earlier stages. He would never have to work, that was his understanding in the partnership, but when I knew them they were both living in a small boat, their only possession, tied up in cheap moorage in Florida and no income save from Tim’s only success, a small share in a computer company which he had deeded to Alan

Tim’s father never came to terms with Tim’s sexual orientation and Alan’s mother, a devout, if embittered, catholic was still praying he’d be ‘cured’ of his homosexuality before he died.

I wrote of my experiences with the two of them in Florida and it’s in an archive here somewhere, but I can’t find it.

They made each other’s lives miserable towards the end, but in their fashion they still loved one another and I do think, Indeed believe, that they still had solace together in their finer moments.

Jim