View Single Post
Unread 01-15-2018, 02:16 AM

Default A quick question...

I have a difficulty. I am proofreading a press release for an event later in the year. The author has used the term "creatives" to describe the group of people who have been collaborating on a history/landscape project and every time I look at it it, it makes my toes curl.

I have never come across it before, but this is no reason to edit it out; is it already an accepted term in art/literary circles? The author is many years my junior and may well have the advantage of me here.

The collaboration involves visual artists (paint, collage, video...) and poets. Roughly half a dozen individuals.

I understand that the writer wants a one-word description that will cover the different disciplines involved and perhaps thinks "artists" (the term I would probably have used) is not broad enough to cover the wordsmiths in the group. She herself is a conceptual artist, working in several media.

My immediate perception is that "creatives" smacks of a kind of political correctness overlaid with a slightly superior smirk and I fear that readers of the release (potential bums-on-seats) might share that view.

Can I have a few informed opinions/gut reactions/alternative expressions?

Please, and thank you.