Thread: Rupi Kaur
View Single Post
Unread 01-29-2018, 07:39 AM

Thanks for link Matt, good article. Yes, I'm pretty much on board with the writer, who is articulating rather better than me what I've been saying 'ad nauseam' on this thread, with the added interesting slant of the poetry as pure capitalism. Talking of 'nauseam', the description of the 'sensitive male' equivalent of Rupi Kaur who furnishes his 'Instapoetry' with 'symbols of masculinity' made me laugh but also feel a bit sick simultaneously. But, each to their own.

I wonder what you think? Or are you just handing out buns for others to throw?

Edit: Jim, yes at least Brian Bilston is clever and quite amusing.

Edit 2: I understand, also, that nobody here has been defending what Kaur writes as great poetry (though Julie was completely sincere in how some of it affected her). It's not like I'm claiming to be the only one able to see that the Emperor has no clothes and willing to 'tell it like it is'. Andrew M, and to a lesser extent Walter, have I think been making the suggestion that regardless of her dubious poetic talent, there's something interesting, and inherently positive, in the phenomenon of Rupi Kaur (and by extension Instapoetry' in general). I understand that notion, but really can't buy into the idea.

Edit 3: I've definitely done here now...

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 01-29-2018 at 01:39 PM.