View Single Post
Unread 04-29-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Isbell View Post
I agree with Bill, that NYRB article is fine piece. Nice to hear about Auden the man as well as Auden the poet. I could study Auden more than I have.
Yes indeed. I knew Auden was a very kind man, but I had no idea really of how kind he was. Sleeping outside of that woman's apartment, because she had "night terrors" - now that's something special.

I notice that Auden mentioned Lowell. I consider Robert Lowell's choice to go to prison rather than serve in WWII to be an act of courage, rather than cowardice. I know many people would think the exact opposite.

I think I would never do such a thing. I'd serve if I had to, feeling it was something of a duty, since I owe my freedom and security to people who have had the courage to serve and risk their lives, and give up their lives, unfortunately. I was extremely lucky to have been born when I was, and where I was - at West Point, no less.

That being said, Lowell's choice not to serve was an act of conscience, and came from his own sense of duty, and took a different sort of courage. He was no coward.

As an extremely claustrophobic person, being in a prison cell is a far more frightening prospect for me than being shot at.

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 04-29-2017 at 04:10 PM.