View Single Post
Unread 11-27-2010, 02:14 AM

I see what you are saying, Julie, but the same problem obtains in ANY competition over here, since the Brit poetry world is a small place, and the South East England poetry world - where many of the competitions I have judged are organised, is still smaller. I have quite often suspected (and quite often found my suspicions to be correct) the identity of a contestant. And, frankly, any poem of mine entered for a competition might smell strongly of Whitworth, which might be to my advantage, or might not. As for Spherians being among the winners, I hope they are, but it will be by merit unless currency notes are slipped in my direction and, alas, I don't think that will get under the wire.

Spherians consistently win Speccie competitions and Lucy could often recognise where they come from. She knows all about this thread. But, as far as I can see, she doen't allow this knowledge to have any bearing on her choices.

Have I ever known/suspected the provenance of a poem and given it a prize? Yes I have. Does that bother me? No it doesn't.

And finally, the only Spherian I actually know (I mean I have met) is Sam Gwynn. Whereas I know many of the people who will enter this competition from over here. And some of them I quite like.