Thread: Comment?
View Single Post
Unread 05-15-2019, 04:04 AM

Discussion touched on the gender of the campers--two men, man and woman, etc. It's clearly two males if you pay attention to the progress of the "we" and the "you" in the final stanza. But most women were angry about the ending, especially that "some woman," so angry that they started attacking the whole poem. Alicia Stallings did note that the simile in the opening line is pretty dead: a dust cloud like a dust cloud.

My feeling is that this is a grown man speaking to an old friend about a camping trip they took as adolescents. It's nostalgic and verges on sentimentality. Harrison was a very macho-looking guy who wrote poetry and novels, a lot about the outdoors. But he was also married to the same woman from 1959 to her death in 2015. He died the next year at 78. Incidentally, it was through his work that I discovered the ghazal, though Adrienne Rich published hers at about the same time.

I argued that if he had written "your woman" instead of "some woman" he might have squeaked through.

It is very hard for men to write about non-sexual love for other men. Crane's "The Open Boat" gets it right about the "subtle brotherhood of men," which is something the four men know but won't say. Women don't, I would argue, have a comparable problem talking about their non-sexual love for other women. But a man who brings it up, even to a close friend, is probably going to hear "Brokeback Mountain!" So Harrison knows he's treading on dangerous ground; even so, he makes one fatal misstep.

Whitman's expressions of "manly attraction" are sometimes sexual but at other times not. That quality of "adhesiveness" he talks about doesn't always happen in a pup tent. This is something that I think Tim Murphy understood pretty well, though sometimes he could be a bit naive in extolling the virtues of some fine farm boy he'd met. Men who have worked together or have fought together probably understand this "band of brothers" type of love, but they have a damn hard time articulating it. I think Harrison tried but came up just a bit short.

The "better than sex" trope is used in the South, mainly by women being naughty. https://www.google.com/search?q=bett...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1951935

Last edited by R. S. Gwynn; 05-15-2019 at 04:09 AM.