Thread: The Deep End
View Single Post
Unread 05-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Slater View Post
But it would definitely be nice to have a non-public board, whether it's "deep" or not.
Roger, I can definitely see why you'd want this, particularly given that you write poems for children where magazines are ultra-strict about public posting prior to publication. Julie has also said that she'd post more here if there were somewhere private to post it.

I wonder what the consequences would be, though, of adding such a forum. Anyone who wants to publish incurs some slight risk (however small) by posting publicly. So, if there were a choice between posting in a public forum or a private forum, how many people would choose to post publicly?

So if we had Met and Dark Met, say, I think Met would likely go pretty quiet, pretty quickly.

In which case, maybe making all the critical forums private is a way forward. The argument I've seen made against this option is that then we wouldn't attract as many new members, as potential new members wouldn't be able to look around before joining.

That said, maybe if all our critical forums were private, we'd actually end up attracting more people. I do get the sense that many people are put off of by the idea of posting publicly.