View Single Post
Unread 07-17-2019, 01:50 PM

I am a Jew by birth, I grew up being told "never again", and while I no longer identify as a Jew, *that* part of my upbringing I take immensely seriously.

Trump, with Kimball as his enthusiastic cheerleader, is using Nazi rhetoric, running concentration camps, and cultivating ICE as an extrajudicial terror squad.

What is the purpose of instilling the mantra "never again" in generations of Jews if, when "again" begins, we haggle and pick away at "well this isn't exactly the same, there are pertinent differences, let's not disrespect the Jews (inter alia) who suffered and died" until we're blue in the face?

To do that, to refuse to allow for the historical comparisons until the death camps start, is to make "never again" a toothless bit of rhetoric meant to make us feel good in our hearts, with no meaningful relationship to making sure analogs to those atrocities never happen again.

That, to me, is to *actually* disrespect the suffering of those who died and were tortured during the Holocaust.

"Nazi" is not an accusation I make lightly. It's an accusation I make out of both careful consideration and deep dread and horror.

Last edited by Aaron Novick; 07-17-2019 at 02:00 PM.