Thread: Knitting Wars!
View Single Post
Unread 08-01-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
I didn’t read the Quillette.
I really urge you to hold your nose and do so, John, including the two previous reports the writer links to at the start of her article. Yes, the website has a conservative agenda, but unless they've wildly bent the truth about all this (which I doubt) then it's pretty appalling.

Julie, I take your point about extreme tactics being needed, rightly or wrongly, to gain attention for just causes. The thing is, I genuinely don't see that the people here – the gay knitwear designer who wrote the poem, the woman who blogged about her trip to India, the other woman who posted a video defending her – did anything even close to deserving of the approbation they received.

To be clear, I know all this stuff can seem petty, and pales when compared to the antics of Trump's administration and the genuine threat from actual racism. But this social justice hysteria, this auto de fe atmosphere as you put it, increasingly it seems to me, is the image that many people have of the left. If only conservative news sources call it out it will drive more people to the right. More voices in the liberal media should disown it rather than, as Vox do, laud it. In my opinion.

Mainly it raises my hackles because it just seems like simple bullying in the guise of something morally virtuous.