View Single Post
Unread 08-12-2019, 02:17 AM

I looked it up. I now know (but do not understand) it to be "a free source code editor which supports several programming languages running under the MS Windows environment."

My language is British English and I write and think in it. Once upon a time somebody invented Word97, which worked in the same medium. To use its tools one only had to puts one's need into ordinary words. That way of working was made by a writer, for writers. It has never been bettered. I use it still.

When I was forced to move to Windows 10 I was reduced to tears by the language which drove the system. I thought I didn't understand until I discovered that much of its workings were the same but the language had changed. I was whimpering in confusion because I didn't have, had never had, an App. When I discovered that it was merely another name for a "program(me)" I laughed with sheer relief.

Nobody mocks a craftsman in wood or metal when he loving displays tools that his grandfather passed on to him, tools that are fitted to his hand and suited to the craft. Please don't mock me for feeling the same about the program(me) that has served me so well for so long.