View Single Post
Unread 06-27-2018, 06:22 AM

Thanks you three! Oh, I'm glad it works! It was hard to tell from my students' reaction, Nigel. They didn't stand on the chairs or anything a la 'Dead Poet's Society'. They do sometimes stand on their chairs, but it's not in tribute to my stonkingness, unfortunately.

Cheers Ralph, I remember that tale from the first time. It's great.

Jayne!! Oh Wow! Not only have I seen it, but it absolutely haunted my childhood! For years I had images from that film stuck in my head until I wasn't sure if I even dreamed it. Didn't know its name, didn't even remember it was Spanish (there's hardly any dialogue is there, as I recall). When I finally got online in the early 00s one of the first things I did was to try to solve all these little mysterious itches from my childhood by researching them: scraps of playground rhymes, old comic books, TV shows. This film was one of my main itches. It turns out La Cabina was on BBC2 on the 25th July 1981, so I'd have been 9. Sounds about right. I have watched it again on youtube since. Still really good. Very Spanish surreal in that Bunuelesque way. Between that and 'Hammer House of Horror' I was warped before I was in double figures. I watched far too much telly as a child, and now hardly ever.

I'd love to read the poem!

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 06-27-2018 at 06:31 AM.