Thread: Twisted
View Single Post
Unread 07-19-2018, 01:36 PM

Martin: "I like your poetic response to the Simon quote, but it’s not actually a found poem."

So does it have to be a collage of words pieced together from at least two different sources? (like Roger's and Matt's?) Or can it be created from a single source/paragraph of text?

If I'm wrong about this being found poetry (see link below) at least I serendipitously contributed to Matt's off-the-cuff found poem response : )

You could be misunderstanding this as being my own written poetic response to the Paul Simon epigraph. In fact, it is not. The body of the poem (except for the final stanza) is text I found on social media (FB). All I did was reformat it to give it the “poetry” look and, of course, to place added emphasis where I thought I could with line breaks.

I only added the Simon epigraph after writing the final stanza and noticing that when I read aloud "Lie. Lier. Lie." it sounded like the refrain from Simon's The Boxer.

The "found" text was found here.

Found poetry, as defined by Poets.org, is:

A pure found poem consists exclusively of outside texts: the words of the poem remain as they were found, with few additions or omissions. Decisions of form, such as where to break a line, are left to the poet.

Unless by "outside texts" it means more than one text source needs to be used in order to create a kind of word "collage" pulling from multiple sources, then I think mine is a found poem.

This could be a learning moment for me. One of many I've had here on the Sphere : )
x