View Single Post
Unread 10-06-2017, 04:13 PM

Logan was asked by Tourniquet to review the book. I expect that the editors had vetted it and guessed how he'd react. Overblown publishing products like this are easy targets, mainly because they are produced by the overblown for the masses. I edited a dozen anthologies of poetry and criticism and used Contemporary Authors, Wikipedia, and other online sources for what is known as "common knowledge." But if I directly quoted anything, it was simple enough to preface it with "As Harold Bloom has said." I gave a rather negative review of Rita Dove's recent anthology of American poetry, mainly basing my comments on some basic errors and on curious omissions of some authors and disproportionate samples of others. The Bialosky book appears to be a rather strange combination of personal memoir and anthology; perhaps there have been others like it. Anyway, I won't be buying it. Putting together an anthology of contemporary work is almost impossible these days because of permissions fees, even for long-dead authors whose work is still not in the public domain. I could list examples, but I'm out of the anthology business now and leave it to someone with deep pockets.