View Single Post
Unread 01-09-2024, 01:06 PM

Hi Bill. "Our reading is taken" is a phrase often (it seems to me) used by ministers / celebrants at church services (especially funerals) to introduce a bible reading, so I appropriated it for my title.

And I am the I in every case. I wonder how I can make that clearer.

John 14 is the very thing.

Hi Jim. Your reading of it is very helpful, so thanks for that. You've given me a new way to look at the poem, which may be to its advantage.

Thanks Carl. Is it more met than I realised? That's quite possible. I may have to reconsider its classification.

Glad you liked the moptops connection. And "There's a Place" is a song on the Beatles' first LP (cf. Larkin, P) - their tribute to early Motown, apparently. But of course I like the song you're referring to, and I think it may be a better reference there. (And may - honestly - have been in my mind too.) The connection to a child is a good one too, but it's more to a shared childhood - a lost sibling (to be frankly autobiographical about it).

And that's what you picked up on too, Joe - quite rightly. I like your summary of the first two parts. I think that's exactly what I was going for. And I am slightly ambivalent about poetry as tranquiliser, but a little calming - and balming - is not a bad thing.

Thanks for those responses, everyone - and cheers all

David