View Single Post
Unread 09-22-2018, 06:54 PM

Mark, that is one more in a string of coincidences bouncing in the air around these two seemingly separate events! The game on Friday night, where the Pies beat the Tigers (Richmond) for a spot in the Grand Final, was history-making because of the game-winning performance of a very tall American named MASON Cox, who has only played 45 footy matches in his life, and only touched an Aussie Rules football for the first time four years ago! As Damian can testify, many tens of thousands of Magpie supporters began chanting 'U.S.A. U.S.A.' -- a sound that has never before been heard at the hallowed MCG. Apparently, it was spine-tingling! His nick-name here is The American Pie. Ha. But his real name is . . . MASON!!!!

So I think the Collingwood football gods are dead-set on pulling Davey into the fold! The signs abound!

Actually, we loved the song they chose to open the interview, and had no idea what it was, so we rang the producer the next day to find out. She had found it by googling spring songs, and the ABC music library pulled it up so she could use it to open the show. Now, with your fresh input, I'll google the entire album so I can hear the Magpie song!!

Thanks, Mark!

Oh, and in case you're interested, there's a very famous poem about Aussie Rules Football by Australian poet Bruce Dawe. It's called 'Life Cycle'. Here's a link:

http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/poetry-life-cycle/

It might give you some sense of what a huge event this is in Australia, particular Victoria, the home of footy, the MCG.

Thanks, Memsy! I bet she'd like your accent, too!!

I'll let him know you enjoyed it, Gail!

C