Thread: Alice Paintings
View Single Post
Unread 04-10-2015, 08:47 PM

Sheesh, remind me not to moderate when I am so sleepy. I closed the thread due to misreading a post. Sorry about that.

Ross, I don't see any similarity between your work and Rothko. I don't think I have ever seen a Rothko with a hard edge in it anywhere. Rothko's work has symmetry too which yours does not. Neither does your work look impressionist in the least. There is no flat color nor hard edges in impressionist work either. They never made the final step into full abstraction. The artists that came into my mind were Calder and perhaps Klee. Yet both of these artists have much more dimension in their work than I am seeing here and this is the same problem I see with the video.

Nothing about this video has any dimension or drama. The titles are as basic as they could possibly be. Ok, lots of films have basic san-serif
fonts white on black, it's a modern style, but at least some attention has been paid to scale and placement. Quite often the background has a subtle texture, maybe even one of your pieces with the saturation and contrast knocked way back would work well.

The vid doesn't build up to anything. There is no crescendo, no focal point. Not every vid needs a narrative but it should go somewhere. Maybe it might move through in a color sequence, or large scale to small, or something. You must have something to say.

Some of the images seem like filler to me, especially the areas where you have taken the same image and simply altered the color. If you are forced to do this because you don't have enough images, shouldn't they really be spread away from each other in the sequence? If you are doing this for effect, for some dramatic interest, shouldn't you use your strongest images for that? Filler is just as big a no-no in visual art as it is in poetry. Try sticking in a few unnecessary words in a poem to fill out the meter and post in in the poetry forums. What would happen to you?

Ross there are a few of your Alice Springs pieces I like...but not the scribbles. What's up with that? Some of the stronger pieces are still exhibiting some "artifacts" which are areas, (in your pieces mainly in the outlines) where the computer has made a skip or a blop. This happens especially when selecting areas, especially when things have been laid down with anti-aliasing. The computer is a fantastic tool but you still need to take a close look and be the final artist. Trust me, when working digitally, sometimes I am looking at my work zoomed in to the single pixel level. Computers can't think.

Does your vid really need credits at the start and the finish when there is only one name? Speaking artistically, I think one would do. I also think your photo should not take as much prominence as the art images. a small one among the credits might work, hmm?

The music...er...well...you already know.