View Single Post
Unread 02-21-2002, 12:14 AM

Curtis, Kate.

I too was disappointed about the lack of debate or even browsing here and would welcome a mixed forum.
Hopefully, the sight of your name, Curtis, may draw people to this thread.

But again, C, I must challenge your generalisations re crits on the FV boards. Don't think I'm being egotistical - it's just that I remember my own comments more clearly than others'. However, my moans about unnecessary syntactical distortions relate in part to rhythm. I recently congratulated a poet on her highly appropriate clustering of hard consonants. I've pointed out to a couple of poets that introducing one full-rhymed stanza in the middle of an otherwise unrhymed piece will emphasise that stanza to a degree that may not be justified by the meaning. Feel sure that numerous other critters could provide evidence in their own defence - but remember, we've recently acquired some very young FV participants who have probably yet to hone their critical skills.

Moreover, I don't think one should weigh in too soon with detailed critiques of technique before a beginning poet has imposed ANY structure on a piece. Better, I'd say to get across the notion that SOME shaping is desirable.
Do answer back in the hope that others will join in! Best, Margaret.