View Single Post
Unread 02-23-2002, 07:22 PM

Margaret,

Undoubtedly, I've oversimplified my impressions of the critique in the free verse forums, mostly due to the onslaught of new visitors and general grumpiness. Sometimes I jump the gun. I think one problem with FV critique is that FV comes in so many "forms." Honestly, I know people who love Hallmark cards; and, I'd support the nomination of David Bowie as a FV poet (his earlier songs), although not as a "master." What devices are important for a poem might be debated by critics and poets, so how can we stress suggestions in critiques?

Kate,

I'm not a big fan of most rap songs, but many people love them. Jorie Graham is nowhere near the top of my favorites list, although perhaps someday she'll be edged upward...I prefer both Merwin and Ashbery to Graham. I don't like most L-A-N-G-U-A-G-E poems I've encountered, not the most extreme variety, anyway. I think, however, that it's not an impossible task to discern techniques which all of these and others use to one degree or another, and contemplate the effectiveness of these techniques.

Steve,

"The avoidance of feeling" is signal. I wonder: does tight structure help promote the impression of sincere feeling in a poem? The lackadaisical approach used by some FV poets leaves me cold. I am all for finding non-metrical orders used well, even if the order is one of well-wrought metaphor or imagery and not argument, but provided that the presentation does not ignore the larger picture (the world, i.e.)--connections, but not connections which do not relate back to humanity along the way.

John,

The things you mentioned are up for debate. I think it's fair to say that so many beginning poets begin with FV because it seems easier to write well than metrical verse (maybe after they've attempted metrical verse and been rebuffed.) I've a question: BANNED POSTWhy does FV appear so easy to do well? Surely, this question might lead to the "Problem with Free Verse" and why so many poor poems are published. Of course, it's not easy to do well; but then again, why?

Thanks for responding, everyone.

Curtis.

[This message has been edited by Curtis Gale Weeks (edited February 23, 2002).]