View Single Post
Unread 10-20-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Frisardi View Post
Camille Paglia [...] And of course she herself identifies as transgender, so she's not even remotely transphobic.
Ooooh. I'm not so charitable about Camille Paglia.

Paglia claims she has never identified as a woman, yet her own preferred pronoun happens to be "she"--the same one she was assigned at birth. I would be fine with her choice to remain with her cis-pronoun, if she didn't go out of her way to ridicule the vast, vast majority of transgender people who choose otherwise.

That looks pretty belligerently, bullyingly transphobic, from where I'm standing.

And that also looks also pretty consistent with Paglia's belligerent, bullying attitude toward everyone who does not make the choices she herself would make--including the many, many women who spend time thinking it over before reporting a date rape. Just because Paglia can't imagine herself not reporting it immediately, were she ever in that situation, she mocks those date rape victims who do hesitate before putting themselves through the ordeal of a humiliating police investigation and character assassination, with very little chance of justice at the end of it.

Paglia thinks empathy is imagining what SHE, with her own strengths and weaknesses, would do in a given situation. But empathy is actually imagining yourself as SOMEONE ELSE, with THEIR strengths and weaknesses, in a given situation. Whenever those two choices differ, Paglia condemns the other person as wrong and stupid and undeserving of any pity whatsoever, because they have committed the unforgivable sin of not being Camille Paglia.