View Single Post
Unread 10-21-2019, 04:15 AM

Andrew, I might appreciate Paglia's provocateurism if she didn't spend so much time provoking underdogs, such as rape survivors and trans people. Do rape survivors and trans people and their allies really need provocation more than the powerful and privileged do?

Then, after she has kicked these underdogs enough to make sure that they and their allies will band together against her, she portrays herself as a hero, bravely and nobly facing down a pack of vicious wolves: alas, she cries, for the state of affairs in modern universities, whatever happened to academic freedom and free speech, political correctness is sooooooo out of control, blah blah blah.

I've got zero patience for people who mercilessly blame vulnerable people for their own troubles, but who then feel perfectly entitled to expect sympathy themselves, when they play the victim in situations of their own making. A troll with pretty much the same M.O. of whining about the disrespectful attention he reaps after sowing his own outrageously insensitive and insulting statements is now in the White House. Ugh. I didn't like Paglia long before I didn't like Trump, and I'm not growing any fonder of her.

Speaking of Paglia's position on pronoun preferences (and returning to the article at the top of this thread), I had to snort at the article-writer's apparent contention that society's failure to be as obstinate as himself about saying "he/his/him" (against someone's stated wishes otherwise) was a major reason for the breakup of an otherwise completely happy and stable household.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 10-21-2019 at 04:35 AM.