View Single Post
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Whitworth View Post
Maryann, the name Hodge is earthy, peasant in a way the name Vaughn is not. Dr Johnson's cat was Hodge. Vaugh(a)n is a metaphysical poet. Also Hodge clumps along but Vaughn flits.
This raises an interesting question, John. Can a poet predict and/or control the connotations of names as easily as other kinds of words? I agree with your thoughts on Vaugh[a]n. But the only Hodge I know is an accomplished poet. Does your meaning have to do with sound associations, like "hod," as in a bricklayer's tool?

Quote:
And a kopje crest ties the poem to a real place and a real time.
Exactly.

Quote:
Homely doesn't just mean pertaining to home.
Indeed. Also simple, rural, a whole constellation of ideas related to, well, Wessex.

Quote:
Hodge is a thickset, plain sort of a boy, rather like Rimbaud in his photographs, though I am sure he did not write poetry..
On this matter, there are things you're carrying in your head that I lack. Would you tell us more about why "Hodge" means this to you and why it might have meant that to Hardy?

Quote:
North and South - I do think American students might be expected to know tat an English poet is not referring to the American Civil War. An Atlas might help.
I do too. I'm grasping at straws as to why Snodgrass made this particular change and I'd like to hear other people's ideas.