View Single Post
Unread 01-26-2019, 07:39 AM

Thanks for this, Sam. Complex is complex.
I find this to be a good analysis of the psyche of american culture -- its current political climate and, by extension, its societal and artistic condition (knowing what little I know; less than most, I know. But I am reminded to speak up, even if from relative ignorance, by Frost who said, “[Have the] courage to go ahead with incomplete information… The object of life is to be, with caution, bold.”

Mason says, “Anybody and anything can explode at any time.” I dare say this statement has a heft to it that has not been present in any other place in time for the average person. Yes, there have been times when the complexities of the world have multiplied in similar fashion, but never has it been so evidently manifested in our everyday lifes, I think. I don’t know. I instinct.

I’m waiting for the moment in the evolution of things when as individuals we reserve ourselves to identifying with and understanding individual issues rather than the identifying with the messenger.

...And then there’s this: “The whole country, like the rest of the world, remains in the grip of ancient, intensely ugly animosities.”

...And I, too, cringe like Prufrock at the thought of leaving myself exposed to being identified wrongly.

I am waiting for the moment when all of us wake up and identify ourselves as tired.