Thread: Prayers for Tim
View Single Post
Unread 06-20-2018, 07:11 PM

Default Tim

To all members of the Sphere,

I just got back to my parish from Tim's home in Fargo. He is very weak, but in good spirits. He is trying to take as little pain medication as he can so that he can remain lucid. He had a good day yesterday with lots of visitors and so today he was very tired. I prayed with him and administered the Rite of Extreme Unction.

I must admit, that I am in tears. We remembered together that grace filled day when he walked into Sts. Anne & Joachim, which proved to be a life changing event for both of us. Tim said it was a 'moment of grace' a truth with which I could not agree more heartily.

I spent about an hour with him talking about the old days, hunting, farming, poetry, God and His Grace, but he needed to rest and was overly taxing himself to stay alert, so I blessed him and left so he could get some rest.

He wanted me to tell all of you how grateful he is for your encouragement and friendship these many years. Listening to the audio of this thread, which Catherine most graciously recorded, filled him with profound joy. He loves all of you and thanks you for your kind words, thoughts and prayers, and especially for accompanying him in his love of poetry and through his travails.

He gave me a glimpse of the humor that belongs uniquely to Tim Murphy, before I left he said to me; "I have had a glorious past three years of...smoking and prayer." It made me, and his brother Jim laugh, and Tim smiled. And then I teared up, as I am now.

I plan on going back to Fargo to see him on Friday, so if you would like to send a greeting and a prayer or poem to him, I would be happy to print them off and read them to him then. I will leave around 9:00am Friday for Tim's place, so have them posted before then.

May God Bless all of you,

Fr. Rob

PS: I asked him if he was ready for death, and he immediately said yes. He is in a good place in his soul. I'm just not sure that I am ready for his death. I wish I could have taken more advantage of the time I had knowing him, but distance and ministry kept it from being so. I will always owe Tim a debt of gratitude for his inspiration and forthright honesty when it came to my doggerel and on the rare occasion when I managed, mostly with his help the help of many of you, to write something worth writing.

Last edited by Robert Pecotte; 06-20-2018 at 07:25 PM.