View Single Post
Unread 09-04-2001, 12:10 PM

As an admitted novice, this is an interesting topic to me. Not only because I've felt both the humiliation of being "flamed" and, on the other side, patronized. I admit to being somewhat reticent in critiquing poetry, in part, to step gently on other people's art and in part, for lack of experience and knowledge in how to be as helpful to others as they have been to me. Somewhat sensitive by nature, I find the most useful critiques to be those that start out with at least one kind thing about the work posted followed by concrete suggestions on what doesn't work. I've learned that Alan is spare with praise, which makes it seem so much more valuable when I hear I've pulled something off. My poetry has improved immensely for his comments, and many of the other experts who take their time to read and comment. I know when I've not done well, most people say nothing.

Rhina, I've read critiques you've done, and think you approach it with the sensitivity of a good teacher who wants to nurture the desire for good writing, with the knowledge that most of us aren't there yet. You provide helpful suggestions on how we can improve, which is greatly appreciated.

Anthony, That poem is a wonderful response to the question.
I think the key is balance the muse and the saint.

Mary