View Single Post
Unread 10-22-2002, 08:48 PM

Tim, it was a pleasure to be given a hand up, if I may call it that. Thank you. One's work has to stand on its own of course, but to point someone in the right direction can be beneficial all around.

I tried to do a little in that way by introducing Dick Davis' work to The Alsop Review staff; previously Rhina's work was presented on The Poets there as well. Perhaps more of those opportunities will present.

In fact, one of the reasons I wrote up the West Chester panel on Fred Morgan's career was his scintillating record in publishing talent over 50 years. I liked his poems and his reading of course, but I guess the very fact of 50 years at the helm of a single publication was a draw to me as well, having worked for a number of publishers and knowing what a toll the job takes on a personality, not to mention on a writing talent. I've only submitted to The Hudson Review once, but I should do again. I certainly don't have an "in" there, nor did I expect to. In fact I'm just a beginner in the world of poetry publishing.

I won't go into the experiences I've had in prose publishing, as they don't seem too relevant to formalist publishing. It's a whole different era and a very different set of personalities. It seems not to be the cutthroat place that prose periodicals are (and have a distinct reputation for being), and that's plenty to be thankful for.

Terese