Thread: Tracy Emin
View Single Post
Unread 07-06-2014, 08:35 PM

Sharon, I can't recall the last time you and I agreed on anything to do with art, but we certainly do this time.

What a farce. The emperor has no clothes, and all this proves is that it is impossible in today's art market to come up with anything that is so ridiculous that you won't find hustlers promoting it, and fools spending millions of dollars to own it - at least for a while - until they can find a bigger fool to pay even more for it.

Ross - the Modigliani you mention did not go for $214MM. That was the total price of everything sold in that auction. The Modigliani went for $42MM - still absurd, but at least it was real work of art by a real and enormously accomplished painter, not a piece of conceptual nonsense. Modigliani's the real thing - I even gave him a supporting role in one of my poems. The cans of beer I drained while working on that poem for close to a week, as well as the seat I occupied, have been preserved, as a matter of fact, and I'm now putting them up for sale on the Sphere. The bidding can start at $100,000 - a real bargain, compared to what else is out there - and 10% will go to Alex. Do I hear a bid, Ross?