View Single Post
Unread 07-31-2020, 05:10 PM

I'm very wary about answering this question, and for a number of reasons. The primary one is this: although I'm very grateful to everyone who has written back-cover copy for me, I hate everything about the process. I wish I could just include an extra poem on the back cover, but no publisher yet has let me go with that idea. When asked, I usually decline to write blurbs and offer instead to write a review.

That said, I'll try to offer something useful. First, confirm with your publisher that it's your job entirely to find the blurbers. It may not be; it may be that you can suggest names and your publisher will approach people.

When it has fallen to me, I've tried to make the request early (editing back to add: it's always been by email), determine how (electronic copy? hard copy?) the blurber wants to receive the text, and be very clear about when the publisher needs copy.

I have always stuck with people who had specific knowledge of at least a bit of my work. For my first book, only Sphereans had that, and I stuck to them. Some ways to get past those limits: If you've won or placed in a contest, it makes sense to try the judge of that contest; he or she might well be your best shot at a "name." Another possibility is someone who has critiqued your work at a conference and had good things to say. Editors who have published your work--especially if they've published you several times--are good choices. For young people, teachers are a good bet.

I'll be interested to hear whether others have advice about cold-calling "big names."

I hope this is some help!

Last edited by Maryann Corbett; 07-31-2020 at 05:28 PM.