Thread: Pocahontas
View Single Post
Unread 12-14-2017, 12:55 AM

We have a detailed family tree tracing our line back to Pocahontas.
I donate fairly regularly to Native American causes, and have two Zuni rings on my two hands.
That said, I have no plans to begin describing myself as Native American. I didn't grow up on a reservation, and have no experience of the oppression and disempowerment which remains fundamental to American society today. I had a Chair to whom I once mentioned my ancestry, who wanted to list me as Native American for diversity quotas. I declined.
What my remote ancestry does, which is perhaps worth having done, is get a little money today to tribal causes, and make some conversations take an unexpected turn.
As for Elizabeth Warren. It doesn't bug me that her family legend claims descent from Pocahontas. I made a choice not to shirk that responsibility entirely, and as Jennifer details, Warren could obviously do more. People make these choices, and public figures might and should givethem more thought. But Donald Trump has chosen to put that name and person, who is by no means a Disney punchline, on a public platform - for instance, while patting a Code Talker rather condescendingly (draft dodger that he is) on the shoulder. And I do feel Native American enough to view Trump's slur - which to me it clearly is - with contempt. As remarked above, his plans for Indian land are no secret, they are there for all to see. Not only do Democrats and the GOP separate here, Trump separates from past GOP presidents. And he also likes throwing around the name of someone he never met.
My 2c.

Cheers,
John