View Single Post
Unread 09-28-2017, 02:05 PM

This thread may be doomed because who want's to dig through Trump's tweets, speeches, declarations, etc. and extract examples of his pathetic command of the English language?

Two days ago he was giving a press conference with the prime minister (whom he repeatedly called Mr. President – not a big deal, but seriously…) of Spain at the WH:

On North Korea: “…And we're replying to those things, but it's a reply. It's not an original statement; it's a reply.” WTF?

In reference to the split between Spain and Catalonia: “…Because you're talking about staying with a truly great, beautiful, and very historic country.” WTF?

These two examples pale in comparison to others. I just can't put my fingers on them at the moment. It’s impossible to document all his grammatical gaffes. That’s my point. It’s as if we have Mr. Bean for a president. (Clearly Trump is far worse than Mr. Bean, but you get what I mean). I guess the bottom line is that it's a reflection of his insipid understanding of the issues we're facing.

For me it’s come down to being nearlyunable to listen to his voice. He is no doubt in over his head. I think that fact exacerbates his poor command of the language.
To your point about preferring a president good with actions to one who is good with words, leadership is a combination of both. If you don’t have command of the language, use your writers and anything else at your disposal. But he doesn’t think he needs that kind of help. Thank God for that. Having the façade of good speech writers to hide behind would make it more difficult to expose him. And even when he does he goes off script/over the cliff.

Anyway. He’s a pariah to me.