Thread: Rupi Kaur
View Single Post
Unread 01-06-2018, 09:02 AM

Surely the only thing that should matter is 'are the poems any good? Is it good art?' Nobody on the thread has actually tried to engage with them, for very good reason. They're really poor. I urge anybody who hasn't already to read the actual poems I linked to. Any other discussion is just sociological babble. I'm reminded of a Bill Hicks stand-up routine from 1990 on another piece of zeitgeisty pop-culture:

'You know I saw this movie this year called er, 'Basic Instinct'. Okay now. Bill's quick capsule review: Piece-of-Shit. Okay now. Yeah, yeah, end of story by the way. Don't get caught up in that fevered hype phoney fucking debate about that Piece-of-Shit movie. "Is it too sexist, is it ironic, and what about the movies, are they becoming too dddddddd." You're, you're just confused, you don't get, you've forgotten how to judge correctly. Take a deep breath, look at it again. "Oh it's a Piece-of-Shit!" Exactly, that's all it is. "But Bill, is it too, what about the lesbian connot.. ddddd." You're, you're getting really baffled here. Piece-of-Shit! Now walk away. That's all it is, it's nothing more! Free yourself folks, if you see it, Piece-of-Shit, say it and walk away. You're right! You're right! Not those fuckers who want to tell you how to think! You're fucking right!!'

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 01-06-2018 at 11:05 AM.