View Single Post
Unread 08-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Distinguished Guest

Cathy, Gail, thank you for letting me know about this thread! We passed a bit of a harrowing night. Much love to you both. Gail, my thoughts are with you.

This morning, there are emergency vehicles on the corner with lights flashing. A neighbor three houses away took a tree through his roof, and now sports a blue tarp reminiscent of the storms of 2005, when Rita devastated us a few weeks after Katrina. My house was partially demolished, then.

There were some unsettling thuds to our own roof last night, but it seems we are okay this morning. I kept vigil. Those gusts were something to behold. My father is out of power, but he has the generator going, and they are unharmed. Our street sign lies in the ditch. Believe me, we were blessed. Five hundred people were rescued here in my own city, Lake Charles, the day before yesterday.

The past few days have had us running into the inner room, from tornado scares, but no flooding whatsoever. We have been fortunate.

The Port Arthur-Beaumont area, we're seeing, is basically under water -- every waterway overflowing, and the Civic Center is completely flooded. They are evacuating the evacuees. They had an overwhelming 25 inches of rain in a mere 24 hours. Beaumont is in seriously bad shape, and our prayers and thoughts are with them. Our "Cajun Navy" has volunteered to help out. We have been so very fortunate, by comparison.

Jennifer